Self-assembly of graphene oxide at interfaces
- PMID: 24852899
- DOI: 10.1002/adma.201400267
Due to its amphiphilic property, graphene oxide (GO) can achieve a variety of nanostructures with different morphologies (for example membranes, hydrogel, crumpled particles, hollow spheres, sack-cargo particles, Pickering emulsions, and so on) by self-assembly. The self-assembly is mostly derived from the self-concentration of GO sheets at various interfaces, including liquid-air, liquid-liquid and liquid-solid interfaces. This paper gives a comprehensive review of these assembly phenomena of GO at the three types of interfaces, the derived interfacial self-assembly techniques, and the as-obtained assembled materials and their properties. The interfacial self-assembly of GO, enabled by its fantastic features including the amphiphilicity, the negatively charged nature, abundant oxygen-containing groups and two-dimensional flexibility, is highlighted as an easy and well-controlled strategy for the design and preparation of functionalized carbon materials, and the use of self-assembly for uniform hybridization is addressed for preparing hybrid carbon materials with various functions. A number of new exciting and potential applications are also presented for the assembled GO-based materials. This contribution concludes with some personal perspectives on future challenges before interfacial self-assembly may become a major strategy for the application-targeted design and preparation of functionalized carbon materials.
Keywords: amphiphilicity; graphene oxide; interface; self-assembly.
© 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
- Self-assembled free-standing graphene oxide fibers.Tian Z, Xu C, Li J, Zhu G, Shi Z, Lin Y.ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2013 Feb;5(4):1489-93. doi: 10.1021/am303010j. Epub 2013 Feb 11.PMID: 23369286
- Graphene oxide: surface activity and two-dimensional assembly.Kim F, Cote LJ, Huang J.Adv Mater. 2010 May 4;22(17):1954-8. doi: 10.1002/adma.200903932.PMID: 20432227
- Three-dimensional self-assembly of graphene oxide and DNA into multifunctional hydrogels.Xu Y, Wu Q, Sun Y, Bai H, Shi G.ACS Nano. 2010 Dec 28;4(12):7358-62. doi: 10.1021/nn1027104. Epub 2010 Nov 16.PMID: 21080682
- Graphene Oxide Based Metallic Nanoparticles and their Some Biological and Environmental Application.Khan AAP, Khan A, Asiri AM, Ashraf GM, Alhogbia BG.Curr Drug Metab. 2017;18(11):1020-1029. doi: 10.2174/1389200218666171016100507.PMID: 29034831 Review.
- Aerosol Processing of Crumpled Graphene Oxide-based Nanocomposites for Drug Delivery.Wang WN, He X.Curr Pharm Des. 2016;22(17):2491-500. doi: 10.2174/1381612822666160128145456.PMID: 26818875 Review.
INTERNAL DOCUMENT PFIZER LABORATORIES LEAKED – ENGINEERING PROCESS OF THE COVID VACCINES